DG Education and Culture decided to structure the dialogue with NGOS participating in the Europe for Citizens programme. In order to do so, they initiated an ’Active European Citizenship Group’ at the end of 2007. The group main goal is to address how to encourage the participation of European citizens in the EU project and activities.
The objectives of the group are the following:
• create a network at EU level in the area of active citizenship;
• set up a place for regular exchange and debate between the European Commission and civil society organizations working in the area of active citizenship;
• provide a tool to take stock of experience, good practices and share results from participants’ activities;
• contribute to the preparation and implementation of the Europe for Citizens Annual Forum;
• reinforce coherence and efficiency of all initiatives in this area.
The agendas of the meetings are decided jointly by the European Commission and participants. The group meets twice or three times a year.